Thursday, April 17, 2008

On the move

Everything about Matt is on the move today!!! First, they listened to his bowels and they're waking up, so "things" will be moving soon :) Then he started walking around...which got the bubbles brewing. He's been getting a few burps out (yeah! This is the only time you will ever hear me encourage my husband to pass gas). And finally we moved to a different room.

I understand the concept of sharing a hospital room to get more people into the building so they can treat more patients, but does it really help the patients? Matt's roomie had his wife and sister with him (all in their 60's). Even though Matt was by the door, and clearly visible upon entering the room, roomie's sister would walk in just BLABBING loudly...waking up Matt. Then roomie had complications, so every hour nurses and doctors were checking vitals, and more family came. Seriously, Matt hasn't gotten more than 45-60 minutes of sleep at a time since he got there at 5pm Tuesday! Between his nurses, doctors and family and MATT's nurses, doctors and family, there was never a quiet moment in that room.

Well, insurance won't pay the difference in room cost for Matt to have a private room...but for $50/night he gets his own room and I can stay in it with him. Granted I'm staying with a friend for free, but if I had to get a hotel room this would be the way to go!! There's even a hide-a-bed in here :)

Matt's feeling MUCH better. He's getting up easier and sitting more comfortably in bed. It's only 1pm and he's already gone on two long walks. He's even eating real food...a few bites of Honey Nut Cheerios and a whole piece of organic fruit leather. He's been reading USA Today, and hopefully we'll get a copy of the Wall Street Journal for him tomorrow. Still no word on when he'll be discharged though.

Okay, this part is not for the squeamish, but it's kinda interesting. We got to see his incision today. It's 6-8" long. It starts below the belly button, then comes up and around the belly button, and up toward his chest. It's actually closed with staples!! Pretty weird, but kinda cool. I know some of you don't care, but I know there are some of you who are probably wishing you could see it :) I'm thinkin' of you.

And now I'm outtie!! Quiet room, wireless internet...time to relax!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

1:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home